Approved: May 16
Date of Review: June 17
We believe that this Accessibility Plan is compliant with current legislation and requirements as specified in Schedule 10, relating to Disability, of the Equality Act 2010. The Management Committee are accountable for ensuring the implementation, review and reporting on progress of the Accessibility Plan.
Under the Equality Act 2010, a person suffers a disability if he or she has a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal daily activities.
Every school has a duty to prepare an Accessibility Plan. These plans:
· must be in writing
· must be reviewed and revised if necessary
· must be published by the Management Committee
· will be inspected by Ofsted
· should cover the whole life of the school and all its policies, procedures and activities
The Attic is committed to providing an environment that enables full curriculum access that values and includes all students, staff, parents and visitors regardless of their education, physical, sensory, social, spiritual, emotional and cultural needs.
We are committed to taking positive action in the spirit of the Equality Act 2010 with regard to disability and to developing a culture of inclusion, support and awareness within the three learning communities. We are committed to auditing and reviewing our current activities, devising actions, setting goals and targets, implementing plans and evaluating them for impact.
To achieve this we will:
· Continually review the environment of the schools, the way we plan, prepare and deliver the curriculum, the information we provide for pupils so that we can improve the access for both individuals and groups
· Work to provide an atmosphere where pupils feel safe and valued
· Promote the understanding of disability and work to show positive models of people with a disability. We will avoid stereotypes and use language which emphasises the person rather than the disability
· The Accessibility Plan will be overseen and reviewed by the Senior Leadership and Management Teams and Management Committee.
· The Management Committee will monitor implementation of the plan through the Head teacher’s report and visits to The Attic locations.
· The plan will be evaluated regularly, informed by discussions with pupils with disabilities, staff and parents and analysis of data on progress and attainment of pupils with disabilities.
It is our intention to remove, as far as possible, barriers which make it difficult for any individuals who has difficulties within the following broad categories of need if they hinder a pupils’ school life: · Physical access to the learning environment.
· Access to published information/ lessons/learning/school.
· Access to the curriculum.
We aim to address the three areas of improving access to:
· The physical environment
· Access to the curriculum
· Access to information usually provided in written form
The Attic operates from a total of three different sites. The Management Committee will review accessibility to the building and facilities to ensure that they are suitable for the disabled on an annual basis.
Access to the curriculum
All areas of the curriculum should be available to pupils regardless of their disability. Where an activity cannot be made accessible or would be inappropriate then an alternative activity will be made available. The policy will be promoted and implemented throughout THE ATTIC.
Review: February 2017